Geraldton Historical Society

Geraldton Historical Society

The Geraldton Historical Society has occupied the Lighthouse Keepers Cottage since 1971 and it is their archival centre with an extensive collection of historic photographs, members lending library, research and reference material, and among the displays are heritage lifestyle objects, costumes, lace and china.

Read More

Geraldton

A CITY IS BORN

The seat of local government in Geraldton was primarily located at various places in Chapman Road, one of which is the lawned area beside the regional art gallery. It remained in that location, in what became a very old and unsightly building, until 1963.

Read More

Resident

HISTORY OF THE RESIDENCY

One of Geraldton's oldest and most recognisable buildings has a colourful and varied history. The Residency, in Marine Terrace, was built in 1861 as a residence for the newly appointed Resident Magistrate of the Victoria District, Charles Symmons,

Read More

Geraldton Port

HISTORY OF THE PORT

One of Geraldton's oldest Parts of the town

Read More

greenough

HISTORIC GREENOUGH

A quiet walk through Historic Central Greenough, or a drive around the Greenough Flats and Walkaway, will give you an insight into the lives of the people who once lived here.

Read More

TRANSPORT TO THE OUTBACK

TRANSPORT TO THE OUTBACK

The first "commercial traffic" in the Murchison comprised small groups of Aborigines on foot. For thousands of years they mined blood-red ochre from deposits at Wilgie Mia, forty miles north-west of Cue.

Read More

DAME EDITH COWAN

DAME EDITH COWAN

Edith Cowan was born on 2 August 1861 at Glengarry near Geraldton in Western Australia, to pastoralist Kenneth Brown and teacher Mary Eliza Dircksey Wittenoom. After Edith's mother died in childbirth in 1868, she went to a boarding school in Perth run by the Misses Cowan.

Read More

MR JOHN SYDNEY DAVIS

MR JOHN SYDNEY DAVIS - TIBRADDEN STATION

Mr. John Sydney Davis arrived in Western Australia with his family from Ireland in 1851, and took up a large tract of land in the Geraldton district in partnership with Mr. Major Logue and Mr. Walcott.

Read More

GERALDTON WAR CEMETERY

GERALDTON WAR CEMETERY

The Geraldton War Cemetery, is situated in the Geraldton Civil Cemetery, Eastward Road, Utakarra. It honours those who lost their lives on service in the Geraldton area, while serving with the Australian Armed Services during World War 2.

Read More

Poppy

No. 4 Flight Training Base, Moonyoonooka

On September 3rd 1939 war was declared. Germany attacked Poland and England, who had an agreement with Poland, was forced to declare war on Germany. Australia was then at war.

Read More